According to the latest Home Buyers and Sellers Generational Trends Report from the National Association of Realtors, millennials make up the largest segment of homebuyers today. And, one of the key criteria they have for shopping for homes are features that would be beneficial for their pets.
- A full 73 percent of millennials currently own a pet, according to the American Pet Products Association.
- A whopping 89 percent of millennials who bought a home so far this year own a pet, according to Realtor.com.
- For this demographic, 79 percent of pet-owning homebuyers who closed on a property this year said they would pass up an otherwise perfect home if it didn’t meet the needs of their pets, according to a Realtor.com survey.
In addition, approximately 66% of U.S. households currently own a pet or plan to get one, this has increased since COVID-19. 43% of U.S. households would be willing to move or change their living situation to accommodate their pet.
And, the one big feature many pet owners want? You guessed it, a pet shower. This feature has been a growing trend for years. I have a friend who started a remodel to build a dog shower for her dogs. In addition, here are other features that are of interest to pet lovers:
- Pet friendly flooring – Luxury Vinyl plank and laminate flooring are favorites
- Feeding stations
- Hidden trash bins
- Hidden litter box stations
- Pet gates (good for little humans too)
- Ramps for older pets
- Enclosed patios for cats
What pet features do you have or plan on incorporating into your home?